Global Initiatives is responsible for developing and implementing an internationalization strategy for UW Bothell.
- Build on-campus support for study abroad, especially addressing the needs of underrepresented students.
- Expand local opportunities for global learning, including incorporating collaborative online international learning (COIL) into courses across the curriculum and promoting globally-connected community engagement.
- Lead and support campus-wide efforts to integrate students from diverse cultural backgrounds, especially focusing on the needs of international students.
- Manage international partnerships.
- Define global learning outcomes and develop assessment tools.
- Pursue grant funding and external revenue for internationalization projects.
Global Initiatives is part of the Office of Conneced Learning reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs. Located in the Truly House, the unit is staffed by a director and part-time student assistants, with administrative support from the OCL. A part-time faculty advisor supports the COIL Fellows program and the development of global learning strategy.
Global Initiatives collaborates closely with the Offices of Global Affairs at UW Seattle and UW Tacoma.
Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
As the Director of Global Initiatives, Natalia supports the growth of global learning across campus, including: education abroad, curricular integration, most notably through Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL), international fellowships, and opportunities for global involvement locally. Prior to coming to UW Bothell, she worked for the Institute of International Education on developing and implementing an innovative scholarship program for a new university in Saudi Arabia. In 2007, she was a Fulbright Student Scholar at the National University of Mar del Plata in Argentina. Natalia has earned a Master of Arts degree in Central European Studies from the Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, and a Bachelor of Arts in Cognitive Science, Psychology and Policy Studies from Rice University in Houston, TX. She has served as a board member of the Greater Puget Sound Chapter of the Fulbright Association and was a 2013-2014 Association of International Education Administrators Presidential Fellow. She chaired the inaugural International Virtual Exchange Conference and currently serves on the IVEC Steering Committee.
Global Initiatives Advisory Board
This group of faculty, staff and students advises the unit on strategic priorities and program implementation. Board members for the 2021-22 academic year included:
- Machelle Allman, Director of Center for International Education
- Salwa Al-Noori, Associate Teaching Professor, Division of Biological Sciences, School of STEM
- Gary Carpenter, Lecturer, First-Year and Pre-Major Program
- Amy Couto, Advisor, School of Educational Studies; Community of Professional Advisors
- Alejandro Francetich, Associate Professor, School of Business
- Stefanie Iverson Cabral, Assistant Teaching Professor, School of Nursing and Health Studies
- Aanya Kathuria, Senior, Law, Economics & Public Policy; Associated Students of the University of Washington Bothell (ASUWB)
- Ron Krabill, Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
- Tyson Marsh, Associate Professor, School of Educational Studies
- Jaresiah Williams, Junior, Media and Communications Studies; Associated Students of the University of Washington Bothell (ASUWB)
- S. Charusheela, Faculty Advisor, Global Initiatives
Global Initiatives joins a broader community of institutions working on global education through its affiliation with the following professional organizations:
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA)
- Institute of International Education (IIE)
Natalia Dyba, Director
Virtual and in-person advising appointments are now available!
Study abroad programs offered at all UW campuses are available to UW Bothell students