The School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) was approved by the University of Washington Board of Regents in 2013 in response to the need for a greater number of STEM graduates to meet the demands of industry in Washington state. UW Bothell combines all of the STEM fields in one academic area, allowing for cross-disciplinary training and project work.
"Welcome to the School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics! As a School of STEM student you have a unique opportunity to engage with faculty doing cutting edge research in a supportive and collaborative academic setting that allows for interdisciplinary job-relevant training and project-based learning. Our mission is to provide equitable access to exceptional programs that integrate teaching and research to prepare our students to solve the problems and confront the challenges facing our communities, the region, the nation, and the world. We invite you to explore your potential in our nationally renowned programs in Biological Sciences, Computing and Software Systems, Engineering & Mathematics, and Physical Sciences".
Leslie Cornick, Dean, School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
School of STEM by the Numbers
- UW Bothell has been cited by CNBC as Number 1 among Public US Colleges that 'Pay Off the Most'.
- 2nd UW Bothell ranks second in the state of Washington in terms of the annual number of bachelor of science graduates in computer science.
- 1,303 full-Time Equivalent (FTE) students enrolled in STEM disciplines, including Biological Sciences, Computing and Software Systems, Engineering & Mathematics, Physical Sciences and IMD.
- $7.6 million Amount of research funding from the National Science Foundation (fy 2011-fy2018) for STEM-related projects.
School Leadership Team
Please contact the School of STEM Leadership Team if you have any questions, concerns or ideas about the School of STEM:
- Leslie Cornick, Dean
- Jennifer McLoud-Mann, Associate Dean for Operations
- Christine Howard, Administrator
- Kate Holland-Stone, Marketing and Communications Manager
- Grace Ryan, Academic Adminstrative Specialist
- Alaron Lewis, Chair, Biological Sciences Division
- Bill Erdly, Chair, Computing and Software Systems Division
- Tadesse Ghirmai, Chair, Engineering & Math Division
- Lori Robins, Chair, Physical Sciences Division
- Emily Gismervig, Faculty Council Chair & Associate Teaching Professor
- Laura Avila, Director, Undergraduate Academic Services
- Megan Jewell, Director, Graduate Academic Services
- Christy Cherrier, Science Lab Manager
The School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) will be an indispensable partner in the region, leading in accessible, innovative, and effective education and research to create a diverse workforce that engages ethically and inclusively with our world and society.
The School of STEM will provide equitable access to exceptional programs that integrate teaching and research to prepare our students to solve the problems and confront the challenges facing our communities, the region, the nation, and the world.
Our CORE values are
- COLLABORATION across disciplines and among students, faculty, staff, and community and industry partners,
- OPPORTUNITIES for all students to succeed and become effective critical thinkers,
- RESPONSIBILITY in the development of research and teaching that serve our students and society locally and globally and,
- ENGAGEMENT through challenging and active learning experiences, community outreach, and enriching student-faculty interactions.
2022 – 2027 Strategic Goals
- Enhancing the Student Experience
- Imbedding Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI)
- Supporting Faculty & Staff Wellbeing and Professional Development
- Sustaining Fiscal Health and Philanthropic Giving
- Expanding Community and Industry Partnerships
STEM undergraduate & graduate programs at UW Bothell
- Applied Computing (BA)
- Biology (BS)
- Climate Science & Policy (BS)
- Chemistry (BS) (BA)
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Option (BS)
- Computer Engineering (BS)
- Computer Science & Software Engineering (BS) (MS)
- Computer Science & Software Engineering, Information Assurance and Cybersecurity Option (BS)
- Cybersecurity Engineering (MS)
- Earth System Science (BS)
- Electrical Engineering (BSEE) (MSEE)
- Environmental Science (BS)
- Graduate Certificate in Electrical Engineering Foundations
- Graduate Certificate in Software Design & Development
- Interactive Media Design (BA)
- Mathematics (BS)
- Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
- Physics (BS) (BA)