Admission to the Master of Science in Computer Science & Software Engineering
Admission into the Master of Science in Computer Science and Software Engineering is offered for the autumn quarter. Complete applications are reviewed and sent to the admission committee on a rolling basis, beginning early February, and decisions are typically sent 8 weeks after the review process begins. Applicants are encouraged to ensure all application materials are complete and accurate at the time of submission.
View general details about STEM Graduate Admissions to learn about non-degree options to take a few master’s classes, application fee waivers, and our commitment to inclusive admissions processing.
Autumn 2024 application deadlines
Applications open in October
- April 1, 2024 (International)
- May 1, 2024 (Domestic)
Admission to the Master of Science in Computer Science & Software Engineering program requires applicants to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or other closely related field*
- Including a high level of command and competency in object-oriented concepts and software engineering
- English language proficiency
- 3.0 GPA or equivalent in the last two years of study
*Alternatively, applicants may meet this requirement with a bachelor’s degree in another field AND completion of the Graduate Certificate in Software Design & Development.
Application process & checklist
Applicants will apply online through the UW Graduate School. There are various components that go into preparing and submitting a complete application. Given our holistic admission process, a competitive application is one that demonstrates academic performance through a variety of methods and personal qualities and achievements.
- Online UW Graduate School application & application fee
- Unofficial transcripts
- Personal statement (multiple short answer responses)
- Current resume
- 2-3 letters of recommendation
- Research essay
- Official English language proficiency test scores (Non-Native English speaking applicants)
- Additional documents (optional)
- Official GRE scores (optional)
Connect with us
- Register for a CSS Graduate Programs Information Session
- Schedule an admissions advising appointment
- Email us or call 425.352.5490 if you have any questions