Upcoming Events for Pre-Health Students
Winter Quarter Career Workshops for Nursing & Health Studies Students - Various Dates
Join us for our continuing career workshop series geared specifically toward students in the School of Nursing & Health Studies at UW Bothell.
- Wed., February 8 @ 4:00 - 4:45pm | Building Your Handshake & LinkedIn Profiles & Using Them to Network
- Wed., March 8 @ 4:00 - 4:45pm | UW Bothell Graduate Programs in Health
All workshops are being hosted in the Pre-Health Zoom room (https://washington.zoom.us/my/uwbprehealth). Accommodation requests related to a disability should be made no less than one week prior to each workshop to Pre-Health Advising, email@example.com.
National Institutes of Health Undergraduate Scholarship Program Information Sessions - Various Dates
Applications for the National Institutes of Health Undergraduate Scholarship Program open on January 5th.
We will host info sessions about UGSP on the following dates:
NIH UGSP INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR AND Q&A SESSION
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Time: 3:00pm-4:00pm ET
The NIH UGSP offers competitive scholarships to students that are citizens and permanent residents from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to careers in biomedical, behavioral, and social science health-related research. The NIH UGSP will pay up to $20,000 per academic year in tuition, educational expenses, and reasonable living expenses to scholarship recipients. Scholarships are awarded for 1 year and can be renewed up to 4 years. For each full or partial scholarship year, you are committed to two NIH service obligations. The obligations are benefits of the UGSP, providing you with invaluable research training and experience at the NIH.
Application closes: March 30th, 2023
Please visit: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/ugsp for more info.
Pre-PA Club Q&A with Physician Assistants - February 9 @ 5:00pm
Join us for an insightful Q&A with 2 Physician Assistants on Thursday, February 9th at 5 PM PST. Discover their journeys and ask any questions you may have about the profession. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity!
Time: Feb 9, 2023 05:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting: https://washington.zoom.us/j/92941376049
This Q&A session isn’t limited to UW students, all are welcome to join! We hope to see you there!
Idaho State University's College of Pharmacy is coming to UWB! - February 13 @ 1:00 - 2:30pm
UWB Pre-Pharmacy students are invited to hear from Erin Colburn, Director of Student Success & Recruitment at Idaho State University's College of Pharmacy. Erin will share more about the College of Pharmacy's progressive and affordable program with multiple locations in Idaho and Alaska.
Additionally, Erin can address questions about the many health sciences programs at ISU.
Sign up for the information session and/or individual appointments with Erin online. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Western University of Health Sciences' COMP NW Osteopathic Medicine Sessions - Various Dates
Western University of Health Sciences' College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Northwest (COMP-Northwest) in Lebanon, Oregon is hosting several virtual presentations and sessions this month, which are meant to answer any questions prospective students may have and assist them with the application process. Please share this information with your pre-med advisees, and reach out to me with any questions you may have.
DO History of Osteopathic Medicine with OMM Presentation | COMP-Northwest
Tuesday, February 14th | 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Join professor Edward Goering, DO and current medical students for a Zoom presentation on the history and philosophy of osteopathic medicine followed by a demonstration of OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine) and open discussion.
Dive into Dentistry Day - February 18, 2023 @ 8am-3pm
University of Washington Magnuson Health Sciences Center 1959 Northeast Pacific Street Seattle, WA 98195
UW School of Dentistry ASDA presents an exciting day of hands-on workshops, mock interviews, raffles and a scholarship chance for pre-dents!
Are you currently an undergraduate or high school student interested in becoming a dentist? Are you a predental student looking for an opportunity to boost your resume and learn the ins and outs of dental school? If you answered yes to any of those questions, then we have the perfect event for you!
University of Washington School of Dentistry’s ASDA chapter is hosting our first IN-PERSON Dive into Dentistry Day since the pandemic on Saturday, February 18th, 2023. This workshop gives you the chance to:
- Get hands-on experience and gain an insider’s perspective on life in dental school. You will learn how to drill and fill a cavity preparation, sculpt a tooth out of wax, and ace your dental school interviews.
- Hear about the Health Professions Scholarship Program from our regional US Navy recruiter and learn about how admission work at UW School of Dentistry from our Admissions Committee Chair, Dr. Phil Anderson.
- Hear from current UW dental students and faculty running the show where you’ll get a chance to learn all about life at UW School of Dentistry. This is a great opportunity to learn about dental school, meet some fellow pre-dents, and get your questions answered.
Spaces are limited so register soon!
In addition, all attendees are eligible to apply for a $100 scholarship sponsored by the UW ASDA Pre-Dental Committee. This money is to support your pre-dental studies and to help with expenses such as application fees and study materials. The winner will be announced on the day of the event. Please register before applying. See the link for more details.
- 08:00-09:00 I Registration & Breakfast
- 09:00-09:50 I Presentation by Admissions Committee Chair
- 09:50-12:00 | Workshop sessions
- 12:00-13:30 | Lunch & Student Panel
- 13:30-15:00 | Workshop sessions (cont'd)
- Early bird (ends Jan 15) // $60
- Group of 5-10 (ends Jan 15) // $55 per student
- Regular admission (Jan 16-Feb 4) // $80
Please consider your availability carefully as there are no refunds. Reach out to Deborah Lee (email@example.com) or Christina Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. If you have a financial barrier that prevents you from registering, please also reach out to us.
MS in Community Health & Social Justice Information Sessions - Various dates
Working together for social justice and healthy communities
- Have you, your family, or community had trouble accessing necessary healthcare?
- Are you interested in examining the root causes of health inequity and how health and well-being are shaped by structural factors and systems of oppression such as: racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc.?
- Do you want to develop your capacity to collaborate with communities, address systemic health challenges, and promote social justice?
UW Bothell is offering a Master of Science in Community Health & Social Justice program starting in Autumn 2023. More information can be found online, and information sessions are being offered.
Virtual info session dates
- February 22nd, Wednesday from 5:30-6:30 pm
- March 22nd, Wednesday from 5:30-6:30 pm
RSVP here and we will send you the Zoom link with a couple of session reminders!
Career Talk with Michelle Killingstad, Travel Nurse with Airlift Northwest - March 1 @ 4:00pm Pacific time
Tailored to students in the School of Nursing & Health Studies, but open to all, this workshop will feature Michelle Killingstad, who will give a short presentation and then answer questions about her career as a Travel Nurse with Airlift Northwest.
The event will be held in Zoom at https://washington.zoom.us/my/uwbprehealth. All are welcome!
WSU College of Medicine Virtual Admissions Application Symposium - March 4, 2023
Join us for the Virtual Admissions Application Symposium. The symposium is a great resource for current undergraduate or beyond - students who are interested in applying or reapplying to our medical school.
Saturday, March 4, 2023 in Zoom
Cost to attend: Free
- Choosing a school, the application process/timeline, application dos and don’ts
- Developing a competitive application/reapplication and application structure
- A day in the life of a medical student (panel of current medical students)
- Medical school financial education/Student Affairs support services and career advising
- Admissions interview information with possible mock interview practice
Please register by February 27, 2023
Please Register Here
WMU MBS Bridge to MD Info Session - March 7 @ 9:00am Pacific Time
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine (WMed) will be hosting a Zoom Info Session for prospective students on March 7 at noon EST (Register Here) to introduce our Master's in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) bridge to MD program. This bridge program, aimed at increasing diversity in medicine across race and socioeconomic status, has existed for 5 years at WMed and is accepting direct applications to the program for the first time this year. We are excited to share more about the program and answer any questions your students might have about the program or application process. Students can find more information on our website or by attending our virtual info session this spring (Register Here). Below are a few key highlights of the program:
- Because of a generous gift from The Jon Stryker and Slobodan Ranjelovic scholarship fund, we offer full-tuition scholarships for the MBS program to each student that matriculates into the program, as well as cost of living scholarships.
- Students accepted to the Master of Biomedical Sciences program are conditionally accepted to the MD program for the following year.
- Cohorts are small. We expect to enroll 6-8 students per year.
- The curriculum runs alongside MD students, and instruction is provided by medical school faculty.
- Priority is given to applicants who are URiM, reside in SW Michigan/have strong ties to the area, first generation college student, and/or socio-economically disadvantaged.
We look forward to sharing more details with you during our info session. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Past Events & Resources
UPREP is a collaborative project between the CEDI student affinity groups. UPREP offers monthly workshops to underrepresented minority students and other aspiring future applicants who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine. We offer workshops focusing on topics ranging from AMCAS application, financial aid, writing a personal statement, MCAT prep, interviews, and others. Join the UPREP listserv so that you can stay updated on upcoming workshops, recordings, and resources, sign up here.
UPREP posts resources, including recordings of past sessions, to their Google Drive.
UWB Pre-Med Club
The UWB Pre-Med Club is a student organization that provides leadership and programming. Check out their latest newsletter.
A recording of the Med Student Panel hosted on February 11, 2022 can be found here. You may need to log in with your Net ID to view the recording.
My Journey to Medicine
Hear from two 1st Generation college students from underrepresented backgrounds who are at different stages on their journey to medicine in this recorded panel.
Preparing to Apply to Graduate Programs in Health
This is a recorded session from January 13, 2022.
This is a recorded session from February 16, 2022.
Transferable Skills for Students in Nursing & Health Studies
This is a recorded session from January 25, 2022.
Job Search Strategies for Students in Nursing & Health Studies
This is a recorded session from April 21, 2022.
The Road to Medical School
This is a recorded session from May 23, 2022.