Mission, Vision & Commitment
The Sustainability Office at UW Bothell works to advance the campus sustainability vision. We do this by:
- Promoting sustainability on campus and throughout the community;
- Connecting students, staff, faculty and other stakeholders to the resources needed to implement sustainability solutions;
- Engaging students and the campus community in sustainability activities taking place on campus and in our surrounding community; and
- Monitoring our progress by participating in the AASHE Sustainability Tracking and Assessment Rating System.
UW Bothell will have a distinct reputation for sustainability, both regionally and nationally. This standing will be based on a combination of a unique campus-wide culture around sustainability along with significant, tangible accomplishments in environmental stewardship, research, curriculum, student life and community partnerships. This reputation will generate excitement and create opportunities that will attract students, faculty, staff, external funding and community partners to share knowledge and resources.
The University of Washington acknowledges the urgency of the climate crisis, and we are doing our part to reduce our impact on the environment. Our commitments include:
- UW Wide Sustainability Action Plan
- UW Bothell’s Sustainability Action Plan
- A founding signature on the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). In January 2009, a Climate Action Planning Oversight Team formed to coordinate the drafting of a climate action plan, coordinated through the University of Washington Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee. Teams of faculty, students, administrative leaders and staff across all three UW campuses worked together to develop the UW Climate Action Plan, which was submitted to ACUPCC on September 12, 2009.
Campus Advisory Committee for Environmental Sustainability (CACES)
In 2012, the University of Washington Bothell’s Campus Advisory Committee for Environmental Sustainability (CACES) was established as an advisory body to coordinate and guide progress in fulfilling the commitment to environmental sustainability, identified as a priority through the UW Bothell’s strategic planning processes. The committee advises the chancellor and vice chancellors, and reports annually to the campus.
CACES is an inter-departmental and interdisciplinary group of staff, faculty and students on campus interested in working together to advance sustainability on campus and beyond. Student groups and other campus community members are invited to propose sustainability-related ideas, research and initiatives to CACES that they would like to see implemented on campus, as well as attend CACES meetings to get updates on the state of campus sustainability.
CACES currently meets on the 4th Monday of the month at 11:00 am. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in attending, want to join or have an agenda item for CACES to discuss.
- Gowri Shankar, Vice Chancellor of Planning & Administration (Executive Sponsor)
- Martin Arroyo, Sustainability Director, Facilities Services (Co-chair)
- Rob Turner, Teaching Professor, School of IAS (Co-chair)
- Tony Guerrero, Associate Vice Chancellor, Facilities Services
- Daniele Raymond, Parking Enforcement Supervisor, Commuter Services
- Heather Galindo, Associate Teaching Professor, School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Rachel Luther, Sustainability Coordinator, Facilities Services
- Lily Cason, Environmental Education & Research Center, Program Manager
- Rita Johnson, Administrator, School of Nursing & Health Studies
- Ryan McIrvin, Government & Community Relations
- Stephan Classen, Assistant Director of Sustainable Practices, Cascadia College
- Tyson Kemper, Building & Grounds Supervisor, Facilities Services
- Treyton Howell, Resident Director of Operations, Residential Life
- Carolyn Brennan, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Connected Learning
- Bailey Cheney, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Program Coordinator
- Student Representative, UW Bothell Alliance4Sustainability Club
- Student Representative, ASUWB Director of Campus Partnerships