Undergraduate Policies & Petitions
All students should refer to University of Washington Bothell policies on undergraduate grading, student education records, and academic standards.
Educational Studies Major
Concentration Area Electives
- Students must select a concentration area, but can enroll in up to 10 credits of Educational Studies and/or Other Department electives from the other concentration.
- Students can submit an SES Petition (process outlined below) to request permission to register for more than 10 credits of electives from the other concentration.
Elementary Education Option & Post-Baccalaureate
Elementary Education Option and Elementary Education Post-Baccalaureate policies and teacher certification requirements can be found in the Elementary Education Cohort Canvas Hub.
Secondary & Middle Level Certification Post-Baccalaureate
Secondary & Middle Level Teacher Certification policies and teacher certification requirements can be found in the Secondary Certification Cohort Canvas Hub.
Add Code Policy
Add Code Request Form (accessible via UW GSuite)
Students seeking add codes to B EDUC courses must submit a request via the form linked above and seek course instructor approval to register for the course. Students must complete the form and provide course information as well as documentation (screenshot, copy of email) of course instructor approval. Requests without instructor approval will not be considered. Students can expect a decision in 1-2 business days.
Course Repeat Policy
Course Repeat Request Form (accessible via UW GSuite)
SES students are permitted to register for SES courses three times.
Students can register for SES courses twice without advisor assistance. If a student needs to register for an SES course for a third time, the student must meet with advisor to co-develop a plan and complete the SES Course Repeat Form.
Post-Baccalaureate teacher certification students do not need to submit a graduation application.
Undergraduate students must meet with their advisor to submit an online application to graduate and receive their diploma. At your Graduation Application appointment, you and your advisor will:
- Confirm your intended graduation quarter
- Review remaining UW and SES major requirements
- Review policies for graduating seniors
Students are responsible for completing remaining UW and SES requirements after submitting their Graduation Application. Degrees are awarded after all UW and SES requirements are complete and a student's Graduation Application is on file with the Office of the Registrar.
When to Submit Graduation Application
Students should submit their Graduation Application three (3) quarters before their anticipated graduation. Students who submit their application in advance may be eligible for Graduating Senior Priority registration. The final deadline for submitting the graduation application is the third Friday of the quarter in which the student intends to graduate.
|Autumn Quarter (December)
||Prior Winter Quarter
|Winter Quarter (March)
||Prior Spring Quarter
|Spring Quarter (June)
||Prior Summer Quarter
Summer Quarter (August)
*AND attend Commencement
Prior Autumn Quarter
*No later than 3rd Friday in Spring Quarter
SES Course Petition
- SES Course Petition Form (must be logged in to UW G Suite account to access form)
- Course Petitions are sent to Educational Studies faculty for consideration on the 15th of each month. Decisions will be sent to students by the 1st of the following month.
- Students can petition up to 10 credits of SES coursework.
- Educational Studies major:
- Enroll in course not listed on the Educational Studies or Other Department Electives lists
- Enroll in course over 10-credit maximum from other concentration
- Request that more than 90 transfer credits be applied to the UW Bothell degree
- Request that a transfer course count for an Educational Studies or Other Department Elective
- Core Course exemption or substitution
- Elementary Education Option:
- Request that a transfer course count for a Foundations Course (B EDUC 340, 402, 403, 423, 438, 441)
- Request that a transfer course count for a Teaching Methods Course (B EDUC 408, 410, 409, 418, 419, 421, 439)
- Request that a transfer course count for an ESOL or SPED endorsement course
- Request that more than 90 transfer credits be applied to your UW Bothell degree
- Core Course exemption or substitution
- Elementary Education Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate or Secondary & Middle Level Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate:
- Foundations Course exemption (B EDUC 402, 403, 423, 438, 441)
- Teaching Methods Course exemption (B EDUC 408, 410, 409, 418, 419, 421, 430, 431, 439)
- Education & Society Minor or Teaching & Learning Minor:
- Course substitution or exemption
- Request that a transfer course count for a minor elective