Become a Teacher

Teacher Education at UW Bothell

The School of Educational Studies offers two, traditional-route teacher certification programs which prepare students to meet the requirements to be recommended for Washington state residency certification with an elementary education endorsement. These full-time, daytime, cohorted programs are designed for those interested in teaching grades K-5. 

Elementary Education Option

UW Bothell’s undergraduate certification major. Earn a bachelor’s degree, certification with Elementary Education endorsement, along with an additional endorsement in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) or Special Education.

Explore the Elementary Education Option

Elementary Education Certification Post-Baccalaureate

UW Bothell’s certification-only pathway for those who have already earned a bachelor’s degree. In four quarters, students learn to design and employ curriculum and instructional practices that promote equity and social justice.

Explore the Elementary Education Post-Baccalaureate


Teachers Education - UWB

English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

Learn about language acquisition, ESOL curriculum, historical and political contexts, and learn from an experienced teacher in a practicum experience. Prepares students to add the ESOL endorsement to an existing teacher certification.

Explore the ESOL endorsement
Teachers Education - UWB

Special Education

Learn the knowledge and skills necessary for supporting the academic and social-emotional development of children and youth with disabilities in inclusive classroom and school settings. Prepares students to add the Special Education endorsement to an existing teacher certification.

Explore the Special Education Endorsement

Teaching in Washington State

Washington state teachers must hold bachelor’s degree, be certified to teach, and earn an endorsement in a teaching area. Future teachers must complete a state-approved certification program to earn their initial, residency certification, as well as complete coursework and pass a content exam to earn an endorsement.

For information on teaching in other states, please view the School of Educational Studies Professional Licensure Disclosure (DOCX).

State Certification & Endorsement Resources