Title IX and other resources at UW

What is Title IX?

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

Title IX, Washington State law, and University of Washington policy prohibit discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, pregnant or parenting status, and LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) identity.

Other UW resources related to responding to sex- and gender-based violence

“Know your rights & resources” guide

The UW Office of the Title IX Coordinator has put together a “Know your rights & resources” guide for students and employees who experience sexual assault, stalking, relationship or intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and/or other sexual misconduct. The guide is also available in a text-only version.

Making a report to the University

Any student, staff person, or faculty member who has experienced any type of sexual misconduct has the right to make a report to the University. The University of Washington has several designated offices responsible for responding to, investigating, and resolving complaints. These offices serve all UW campuses and locations except where noted; the appropriate office to contact depends, in part, on the role of the person who is alleged to have engaged in the misconduct. An advocate can help you explore these options and determine which office is most appropriate to take your report.

Title IX Investigation Office

The Title IX Investigation Office takes complaints that a student has violated the sexual misconduct provisions of the Student Conduct Code. They can be reached at 206-616-5334 or tixinv@uw.edu.

University Complaint Investigation and Resolution Office (UCIRO)

UCIRO takes complaints concerning the behavior of University employees, including faculty, staff, and student employees at all UW locations. They can be reached at 206-616-2028 or UCIRO@uw.edu.

Making a report to the police

You have the right to report to the police, or to the University, or to both, or to neither. It is completely up to you. If you choose to report to the police, it is likely that the report will need to be made to the police department that has jurisdiction where the incident(s) occured. You have the right to have an advocate with you when you make the report and for any subsequent interviews. An advocate can help you determine which police department can take your report. Or, if you prefer, you can call the non-emergency number for your local police department and ask them to help you determine jurisdiction.

Link to Calendly booking system for the VPA.