Returning Student Process

Previous UW Bothell undergraduate students who have not completed courses at UW Bothell for two consecutive quarters (excluding summer quarter) OR a UW Bothell student who has withdrawn from a quarter and does not enroll in the following quarter is considered a returning student.

Students return to the same academic program/major they were enrolled in when they left. Students may apply to a different major after returning to UW Bothell. Be aware of application deadlines for majors, which can be different for each major.

If a student decides not to attend the quarter they applied, another request must be submitted for a later quarter.

Students applying to enter the University for the first time or in a new category because they have earned a bachelor’s degree since last attending UW Bothell should not apply as returning students. Instead, they should contact the Office of Admissions for information about the appropriate category: undergraduate, which includes post-baccalaureates, graduate, professional or non-matriculated undergraduate.

Graduate Students

Former UW Bothell graduate students should contact their program advisor and the Graduate School for information about re-applying. Graduate students who are returning from official on-leave status are not required to fill out a Returning Student Form. Review the Graduate On-Leave Policy for on-leave eligibility, procedures for requesting leave and information about reinstatement.

Ready to Return?


  • Complete the Returning Student Request Form
  • If you have attended any college or university since you have left UW Bothell, you will need to submit official transcripts at the time of application to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. (UW Bothell does not require you to submit transcripts from work done at UW Seattle or UW Tacoma)
  • Once you have been notified that your Returning Student Request form has been processed you will receive an email prompting you to confirm your enrollment for the returning quarter you indicated.
  • When you are ready to confirm your enrollment for the quarter which you wish to return to the UW, click here.
  • You will be required to pay a non-refundable Enrollment Confirmation Fee of $60.
  • Log-in to MyUW and check for registration holds
  • Meet with your adviser
  • Check your Residency status.
  • Register for classes- during Registration Period II

Submission Deadlines

Returning student requests are accepted up to a week before the start of the requested quarter.

Returning student process restrictions

The ability to return as a student to the University of Washington is granted at the discretion of the University. Eligibility factors which may be considered include, but are not limited to:

  • previous academic achievement
  • prior disciplinary action

You must return to the same academic program you were enrolled in when you left. If you wish to apply to another major, you may do so after returning by applying to the new program via the internal application process.


Be advised that students returning to the University may not necessarily be readmitted under their previous residency classification. It is highly suggested that you check your tuition statement to ensure the tuition rate and fees are charged correctly. Students should be prepared to complete any necessary application and documents required to correct their classification with the Registration Office at UW Bothell. For information about residency, click here.

Reinstatement Petition

Students dropped for low scholarship when last attending UW Bothell must complete a reinstatement petition with their academic advisor. Those who have not enrolled for two or more quarters at UW Bothell must submit a Returning Student Request Form in addition to being reinstated.

Learn more about Reinstatement

Immunization Requirement

Students who have not yet satisfied their measles, mumps, and meningitis ACWY vaccinations must do so prior to registering for classes. Students who have provided proof of immunity when they previously attended the University of Washington may not need to re-submit them again, although if you do not know for sure, please feel free to contact the Immunization Verification Program to verify.

Click here to view more details about required immunizations.

Additional Information

Please be aware that the UW email and/or UW Office 365 email & productivity platform account(s) and data that you create with your UW email address are temporary and will expire when you graduate and/or separate from UW. However, you do have the ability to forward your UW email address to a personal, non-UW email address as a student and upon separation from the University.