About the Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee was established to help supplement the availability of technology to UWB students and to provide opportunities for innovative facilities and projects that require capital investment. Each year, the STF Committee solicits a variety of student technology proposals for projects that meet the demonstrated technology needs of students and allow them to further their education and research goals.
The fee supplements University or external funding of technology for student use. Money from the fee is not used to fund items that should properly be funded by legislative or administrative funds. If funding is critical to a programs curriculum, this is not the appropriate funding source. Funding for projects are made on a yearly-basis, hence proposals made to the committee should not be contingent upon subsequent years of funding.
Proposals must show that the primary benefit is to students, include a summary of student input, provide a long term plan for operation, and address issues of student access. The committee does not fund: equipment used for classroom instruction, ongoing maintenance and supply costs, salary for full-time or part-time staff or students, or wireless networking outside of the University’s central deployment.
2018- 2019 Application Process
Funding Cycle - This is the second funding cycle for the year. The next funding cycle will take place in Fall 2019. The second cycle funds will be available for the next academic year.
AVAILABLE FUNDS FOR FIRST CYCLE- $1,057,062
Instructions for Submitting Proposals
1. Fill out a copy of the application to submit online via google form. Read the following documents: Annual Funding Plan and STF Guidelines.
2. All proposals must be reviewed by Dan Sullivan, Jim Pilon, and Tim Rhoades before they are submitted to the STF committee. It is recomended that you work with these staff early, so that they can provide guidance on your project. You should submit these for their review no later than March 15th, but again earlier is better. IT must also give you a statement on limitations of support.
3. If any revisions are advised, proposals should be revised by March 27th.
4. Final proposals must be submitted via google form by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27th.
Applicants will be notified the week of March 30th if a hearing is requested for their proposal. Hearing dates and times will be April 5th and April 12th. A preliminary budget will be announced the week of April 27th and the final budget will be voted on by May 4th. Budgets will be available for use by July 1st and must be spent by June 1st, 2020, unless you are making a long-term request.
How to join the STF Committee
The Student Technology Fee (STF) Committee is a yearly committee of students appointed by the ASUWB. We are responsible for reviewing proposals related to the $42/quarter technology fee that each student pays, and making funding recommendations to ASUWB. Proposals on how the money should be spent can be submitted by any current student, faculty, or staff member of UWB.
As a member of the Student Technology Fee (STF) Committee you will:
- Meet weekly throughout the academic year. Every Friday from 11-1pm
- Review proposals on how the STF money should be spent.
- Allocate STF funding with stipulations (approximately $2,100,000).
- Explore methods and guidelines to maximize the benefit that the STF has on the student population.
- Must be a current student at UWB, enrolled in at least five credits for autumn, winter, and spring terms.
- Must be in good academic and behavioral standing (as defined by UWB General Catalog and the Student Conduct code) at the time of application and while serving as a member of the STF Committee.
- Must be able to meet weekly on Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. during the regular academic year.