The Distinguished Teaching Award (DTA)
The Distinguished Teaching Award selection committee, appointed by the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, is chaired by a previous DTA recipient and includes at least three faculty members, a current student representative and an alumni representative. The committee follows a process, in short: after reviewing the nomination letters, the committee invites some or all nominees to submit a complete dossier of supporting materials. Based on consideration of dossiers, and criteria listed below a formal recommendation is made to the Vice Chancellor.
Criteria for Selection
Criteria have been developed to help identify exceptionally meritorious teaching. Such teaching:
- Exceeds the highest standards
- Serves as a model of inspired and challenging teaching
- Has led students to academic and personal success
- Stimulates and supports active and continuous learning
- Inspires and cultivates excellence in the achievements of all students
- Exemplifies openness to a broad range of ethical and intellectual inquiry
These criteria are met in a variety of ways. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Development of innovative teaching methods
- Applying effective and timely ways of assessing student learning to improve instruction as well as learning
- Incorporating current scholarship into course content
- Integration of multiple disciplines into one's teaching
- Challenging and expanding traditional ways of knowing
- Deepening multicultural understanding
- Being an accessible and effective mentor outside the classroom
- Finding ways of enriching clinical experiences
- Offering independent studies and internships that consistently stimulate, inspire, and move beyond conventional expectations
- Demonstrating leadership in curriculum development within the teacher's own course offerings and at the program and cross-program levels
Nominations for the 2019 Distinguished Teaching Award are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 14, 2018.
Please note, the DTA nomination process for the Seattle and Tacoma campuses are both separate and different, with earlier closing dates. Nominations submitted to the Seattle DTA site will not be forwarded to UW Bothell.