First-year International Students

This page details information and guidance on how to apply as a first-year international student.

What is an international first-year student?

International students who have not completed any college credit after completing secondary (high school) education should apply as a first-year.

On this page

Admissions requirements & how to apply

International applications are reviewed by our trained international admission specialists. In some cases, our admission specialists also review the applications of U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and refugees who were educated outside of the United States. The online application fee for international students is $75.

Please visit the following areas of the admissions website for more about admissions requirements and how to apply:

1. First-year admissions requirements

This webpage contains a detailed breakdown of the academic requirements students must meet to be considered for admission to UW Bothell.

First-year admissions requirements

2. How to apply as a first-year student

This webpage contains detailed information about how to apply to UW Bothell as a first-year student, including a step-by-step guidance on how to fill out your application.

How to apply as a first-year student

3. English Language Proficiency

Proof of English language proficiency is required for all students who did not complete most of their primary and secondary education in the United States, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom. Determining English language proficiency is at the discretion of UW Bothell.

Find out more about the English Language Proficiency Requirement

International student transcripts, certificates and diplomas

All international post-secondary transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluations agency. UW Bothell will accept international credential evaluations from any of the preferred agencies listed below or any agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Official academic records are required from all previous institutions in your education history, starting with secondary (high school) education. All evaluations must be completed with official documents sent to the evaluation company directly from institutions. A course-by-course evaluation must be sent to the Office of Admissions at UW Bothell in a sealed envelope or other means of official transmission directly from the evaluation agency.

It is the responsibility of applicants to supply all required academic records. If you are requesting records from a country or institution where you may have difficulty with timeliness or issuance, please make certain you request your documents allowing enough time for them to be received for your application. We require the document in the original language when the issuing institution cannot issue in English. If it is issued in a language other than English, we also require an English translation. All transcripts written in any language other than English must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation in the same format as the originals.

To be considered official, the translator must be certified by the American Translators Association or corresponding body in the originating country, or should have a Master’s degree in Translation or Interpretation, or be completed by the issuing institution.

Note: Any document submitted to the Office of Admissions to supplement the application becomes part of the official admissions record and cannot be released back to the student.

Advanced coursework & policies

To students pursuing a first bachelor’s degree, the Office of Admissions awards transfer credit according to the guidelines. Admissions reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions of higher education.