Notable Restrictions on Transfer Credits

A maximum of 90 credits from lower division course work (100 and 200 level courses) may be applied toward the credits required for the bachelor’s degree. Students can petition their program to transfer additional credits beyond 90 lower-division credits to apply toward their major. No more than 135 transfer credits (lower or upper division) may be accepted to count toward a bachelor’s degree.

College in the High School

Additional credit restrictions may apply when students enrolled in high school have been awarded college-level credit by a college or university other than the University of Washington, and the course work was completed on the high school campus rather than the college campus.

Extension Credit from Other Schools

No more than 45 credits earned as extension credit from other schools may be applied toward a UW Bothell degree. Military credit (see below) is included in this 45 extension credit limit.

Guidance / Personal Development

A maximum of 3 credits is awarded for courses in this area as part of the 15 credits allowed for vocational/technical courses (see below).

Military Credit

Official military transcripts (Joint Services Transcripts) must be submitted to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. Coursework recommended for academic college credit at the lower or upper division level by the American Council on Education (ACE) will be considered for transfer provided that the coursework is applicable to the student’s degree program at the University of Washington. Military coursework is not included in the transfer GPA, and transfer credit will not be awarded until after the student has enrolled at the University. A maximum of 30 quarter credits may be awarded for academic courses completed through Armed Forced training schools (AFTS). No credit is awarded for Military Occupational Safety (MOS) programs.

Native Language

First-year (elementary) or second-year (intermediate) world language credit is not granted either by examination or by course completion in a student’s native language. “Native language” is defined as the language spoken in the student’s home during the first six years of his or her life and in which he or she received instruction through the seventh grade.

Out-of-Sequence Courses

Credit is not awarded for prerequisite courses in mathematics or world languages completed after a more advanced course has been completed. For example, students will not be awarded credit for Spanish 102 if taken after Spanish 103.

Parallel / Overlapping Content

If a department considers two of its courses to have overlapping content, credit will be awarded for only one. For example, credit is granted for either CHEM 120 or CHEM 142, not both. Other departments in which such overlapping courses occur include Astronomy, Computer Science, Economics, Genetics, Geological Sciences, Linguistics, Physics, Psychology, and Statistics.

Physical Education

No more than three quarter credits will be allowed for physical-education activity courses.

Repeated Courses

The transfer GPA is calculated using the repeat policy of the home institution. In the case that a student takes a course at one college, and then repeats it at another college, and then transfers to UW Bothell, the most recent grade will be included in the transfer GPA calculation.

ROTC Credit

Credits earned in first- and second-year military training courses may not be counted in the basic 180 credits that are required for graduation. Some third- and fourth-year courses may count, depending on the institution the student attended previously.

Senior Residency Requirement

The University generally requires that at least the last 45 of final 60 credits of a baccalaureate degree be completed in residence at UW Bothell.

Vocational / Technical Credit

A maximum of 15 vocational/technical quarter credits (or 10 semester credits) may be awarded. Courses in this category are those that ordinarily provide specialized training for an occupation (e.g., allied health, bookkeeping, electronics, or physical therapy assistant). When allowed, these credits will apply only toward the elective credit component of a baccalaureate degree at UW Bothell. Such courses are not included in the transfer GPA.

World Language Courses

Students who have completed two or more years of a high-school world language receive no college credit for an entry-level course (e.g., FRENCH 101) in the same language when that course is completed after matriculation at the University. Transfer students who complete such a course before matriculation at UW Bothell are eligible to receive transfer credit.