Courses Receiving No Credit

The University of Washington Bothell reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its baccalaureate degree programs. Some general categories of courses never receive transfer credit. Examples include:

  • Courses below college level (numbered below 100 or development classes, e.g. English 100)
  • Repeated courses or courses with duplicate subject content will only receive credit once
  • Courses that provide instruction in a particular religious doctrine
  • Math courses below college level (e.g. basic math, elementary and intermediate algebra)
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units
  • Remedial English (e.g., reading, vocabulary development, grammar, speed reading, or any courses that are preparatory to an institution’s First Year Composition course)
  • Courses providing instruction in English as a Second Language (100-level or above) or English courses taken at an institution where English is not the primary language of instruction
  • Remedial courses in any academic discipline (100-level and above)
  • Lower division military science courses
  • Non-academic/vocational-technical courses beyond the 15 credit limit
  • Examinations offered by the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).
  • Courses taken at unaccredited institutions or at any institution that did not hold at least candidacy status with its regional accrediting association when the course work was taken (see below)

Unaccredited Institutions

UW Bothell only awards transfer credit for courses completed at regionally accredited institutions. No credit will be awarded for courses taken at unaccredited institutions; these include nationally accredited institutions that are not regionally accredited.

The following is a list of Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations that UW Bothell recognizes. If your school is accredited by one of these organizations, you may be awarded transfer credit for courses you took there.

  • MSA: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education
  • NWCCU: Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • NCA-HLC: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission
  • NEASC-CIHE: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • NEASC-CTCI: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. Commission on Technical and Career Institutions
  • SACS: Southern Association of Colleges and School, Commission on Colleges
  • WASC-ACCJC: Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Jr. Colleges
  • WASC-ACSCU: Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities

You can usually find the name of the accrediting organization on the back of your transcript or on the school’s website. You can also search for your school with CollegeBoard, a database of information for hundreds of schools. Or, you can contact your school directly to ask.

If you are still unsure whether your school is recognized by UW Bothell as an accredited institution, please submit an official transcript; the UW Bothell Office of Admissions will review all of your transcripts and make a determination on what credit is transferable.