Secondary Certification Post-Baccaulaureate
Previously a M.Ed. program with secondary certification, the relauched Secondary Certification Program will be reopened for applications in Autumn 2019 as a non-degree granting, post-baccaulareate certification-only program. The program structure and admissions requirements outlined on this website reflect the changes made during our admissions pause. We are currently still revising endorsement area requirements.
To be kept informed of the latest developments on our Secondary Certification Program, please join our mailing list.
The Secondary Teacher Certification Post-Baccalaureate Program prepares students to become certified high school or middle school teachers in the state of Washington. Upon completion of this highly-structured, four-quarter program, students will meet all of the requirements to be recommended for Washington State Residency teacher certification.
The program integrates adolescent development and teaching methods courses with structured student-teaching field experiences. You will be challenged to apply and extend what you learn in class to your work with youth in several school settings.
Washington state secondary teachers must be endorsed in a specific content area. UW Bothell supports the following endorsements:
- English Language Arts
Is this program for you?
This program is for students who:
- Want to teach high school or middle school
- Have a Bachelor's degree or significant coursework in biology, English, mathematics, history, or physics
- Are interested in becoming a thoughful teaching practioner
- Are committed to designing and employing curriculum and instructional practices that promote equity and social justice
- Intend to dedicate themselves to continuous academic and professional development