Biology Endorsement Requirements
Why an Endorsement?
Washington state teachers must be certified to teach and must hold an endorsement in a teaching subject. To be eligible for an endorsement, applicants must complete college-level coursework in their endorsement subject to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of various topics in the discipline. Specific endorsement competency areas are outlined by the State of Washington Professional Educator Standards Board.
Biology Endorsement Course Requirements
- Biology Introductory Sequence with lab - 2-3 courses*
- Biology with Lab - 2 courses
- Anatomy & Physiology or Animal Physiology - 1 course
- Ecosystems - 1 course
- Evolution or Genetics - 1 course
- Cell Biology - 1 course (can be substituted with Microbiology for 2022 application cycle)
- Social Justice Issues in Science or Science in Society - 1 course
- Calculus or Statistics
- Chemistry Introductory Course Sequence - 2-3 courses*
- Laboratory Internship or faculty-mentored research in biology
*Depends on institution (semester or quarter school)
- Courses with a minimum grade of 2.0 or C will be accepted
- 100-level or higher community college or university course level will be accepted
- Courses may fulfill more than one content area requirement
It is strongly recommended that applicants work with an admissions or School of Educational Studies advisor to complete an endorsement area transcript review to determine if any course requirements are missing.
Applicants may be asked to submit a syllabus to determine whether a course meets endorsement area competencies.
Approved UW Bothell Endorsement Courses
Endorsement Course Syllabus Review Request
Unsure whether a course you've taken satifies an endorsement requirement? Complete this form to request that a past, current, or future course be considered for an endorsement requirement. Please submit the course syllabus - course descriptions alone will not be reviewed.
Please provide up to two weeks for requests to be processed.
Endorsement Course Petition
Prospective Secondary & Middle Level students may petition to substitute an endorsement area requirement with a course from another area. Additionally, prospective students may request an exemption from an endorsement requirement. Sample petitions:
Sample substitution request: substitute one requirement for another because institution did not offer courses in that area
Sample exemption request: earned lower than a 2.0 in an endorsement requirement, but completed an advanced degree in the discipline