Seven sets of recommendations came out of the campus-safety-survey 2018 Campus Safety Survey. The Advisory Council on Campus Safety is tracking the status of these recommendations for the campus. Below you can view the current status of recommendations in each of the following areas:
- Public Dialogue
- Training Opportunities
- Visibility of Campus Safety and Bothell Police
- Standardized Safety Training for Campus Community
- Lockdown Procedures
- Exterior Lighting Issues
Partner with other groups on campus to facilitate more open discussions across campus communities regarding safety at UW Bothell and Cascadia College.
- Donuts & Dialogue program continues. View Donuts & Dialogue calendar and topics.
- Safe Campus Training program is ongoing. The next session is December 5, 2018.
- Lunch with Campus Safety program launched.
- Campus Safety participates in Welcome Week
- Campus Safety Tailgating event
- Campus Safety partners with UW Bothell students’ Self Defense Club.
Active and multi-channel efforts should be made to communicate with the various communities on campus about safety policies, procedures, and resources already in place, including the roles and responsibilities of Bothell PD, Campus Safety, students, faculty, and staff.
- Ongoing. A quarterly Campus Safety eNewsletter was launched in Fall quarter 2018.
- Complete. A public list of the types of trainings that Campus Safety officers receive has been published on the website.
- Complete. An online reporting form has been implemented on the campus website.
- Complete. Links to Campus Safety webpages is now available from the homepage of both UW Bothell and Cascadia College.
- Ongoing. Campus Safety is currently working to set up “Security Walks” in which campus community members can walk with Campus Safety and discuss areas of physical concern.
- Ongoing. Campus Safety is hiring a Program Assistant to help with further outreach initiatives.
Vary the timing, frequency and method of training opportunities.
- Active shooter training using A.L.I.C.E.
- Evacuation warden training carried out on August 7th, 8th, and 13th
- Earthquake drill October 18th
- Safe Campus Training to be held on December 5th
- First Aid / CPR Training scheduled
- Stop the Bleed trainings held in November and will be offered again
Visibility of Campus Safety and Bothell Police
Increase visibility of Campus Safety and Bothell Police on campus in an outreach effort to further develop our relationships as a community.
Ongoing. Campus Safety is working with Bothell PD to focus more on foot patrol through campus.
Standardized Safety Training for Campus Community
Create standard and repeatable trainings for campus safety and emergency preparedness to ensure that all students, faculty, and staff are given the information they need to access safety resources on campus and understand their roles and responsibilities. Two ideas for this would be to 1) develop an online training that orients students, faculty, and staff to campus safety resources, policies, procedures, roles and responsibilities; 2) work with academic unit heads to see how safety information for particular classrooms, labs, and buildings can be shared as part of course instruction.
Ongoing. Campus Safety’s new Program Assistant will be tasked with coordinating schedule and delivery of training opportunities.
Develop and disseminate a clear lockdown procedure for campus buildings that reflects current capacities and the physical spaces we occupy.
Ongoing. Campus Safety coordinating with UW Bothell and Cascadia College facilities.
Exterior Lighting Issues
Establish a process to conduct a campus wide review of the current exterior lighting levels and in all parking facilities including flat lots and public pathways, scheduled on a routine rotation to accommodate for campus growth, vegetation growth, and technical advancements in lighting.