Discovery Core Experience: VLPA Courses
B CORE 117 (VLPA)
60-Second Syllabus: The Legal Case
About This Course:
At its heart, this is a persuasive public speaking class. However, we’re getting at that topic through an introduction to trial advocacy.
The course begins as a mix of a “Public Speaking” class and an “Intro to Law” course, but the majority of the quarter divides students into legal teams that gather facts from provided documents, assemble arguments, and make a case before a jury of peers. Students will study the fundamentals of evidence law, as well as criminal and civil procedure.
Then, using mock-case packets, students must organize facts, craft arguments, and effectively communicate their positions as direct- and cross-examinations, and opening and closing statements.
Professor Gavin Doyle (He/Him/His)
About Professor Doyle:
- JD, Law, Loyola Law School-Los Angeles
- MFA, Theatre Performance, University of Louisville
- Certificate in African-American Theatre, Theatre Performance, University of Louisville
- BA, Biology, Roanoke College
- BA, Theatre, Roanoke College
"We draw connections between matter and what matters." -Professor Doyle