Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process


TOEFL Questions:

Program Questions

Tuition and Financial Aid

Career Services

Visiting and Contact Information


Application Process


What are the prerequisites for the MSA program? back to top

1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S., or its equivalent from a foreign institution, and must have at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) for the last 90 graded quarter credits or 60 graded semester credits**.


2) one of the following: a master’s degree, a graduate doctoral degree, or any of the following professional doctoral degrees: Doctor of Dentistry (D.D.S.), Doctor of Law (J.D.), Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.), Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.). The degree must be from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution, and must have at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) calculated from the total cumulative credits.


(1) If an applicant's native language was not English, they may be required to demonstrate Eglish proficiency.

(2) All applicants without a bachelor's degree in accounting must have completed, or expect to have completed by the time they start the Master’s program, upper level (300 and 400 level) undergraduate Accounting courses in the following areas:

Intermediate Accounting   (2 courses if by semester, or 3 courses quarterly)
Cost Accounting
Federal Income Taxation
Accounting Information Systems

Are the prerequisites required? back to top

Yes, the prerequisites are required if you do not have a Bachelor's degree in accounting as noted above.

What do I need to complete and submit for my application to the MSA program? back to top

Application information is here: and if an international applicant, also here: Required application materials are: current resume, statement of purpose, a minimum of TWO letters of recommendation (you may submit up to three recommendations), and copies of transcripts.

NEW: GMAT/GRE waiver will continue for the 2022 application cycle.

Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

I do not have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or have not taken any, or very few, undergraduate accounting courses. Is there a way for me to complete these prerequisites? back to top

  • Enroll in the Certificate in Accounting 9-month program at the University of Washington Bothell: Applications are accepted until the program reaches capacity, and classes begin each September. The program completes in 3 quarters. If you have questions about the application process, please email
  • Enroll in in either the 9-10 month or 9-week summer Certificate In Accounting at UW Seattle.  The UW Seattle Certificate meets in the daytime. Applying requires completion of a Bachelor’s degree and academic credits earned in an introductory financial accounting course AND an introductory managerial accounting course. Click above link for details.
  • Enroll in any other certificate in accounting program that meets either state CPA or Uniform CPA educational requirements.
  • Take prerequisite courses at local community colleges.

Please note that in addition to the upper level accounting courses above, the CPA exam has additional requirements. Anyone planning to work in a different state should always check with that state’s CPA exam requirements.

Does my foreign degree qualify me to apply to your MSA program? back to top

Applicants must have at least the baccalaureate degree equivalent to a 4 year, regionally accredited U.S. institution to be considered for admission. The official assessment of academic preparation of international student applicants will be done by the UW Graduate School after you have applied to our program.

When are the deadlines for application? back to top

Priority Application Deadline: February 1*
International Application Deadline: March 1*
Application Deadline: May 1*

*NOTE: applications will be accepted after deadlines on a space available basis.

International candidates have been encouraged to apply by March 1 to allow additional time to complete application materials and secure immigration documentation, but completed applications will be accepted after the deadline.

Candidates are encouraged to apply early. Applications will be reviewed when complete, but admissions decisions may not occur until after the application deadline.

How are students selected for admission? back to top

The UW Graduate School requires that all graduate school applicants have the equivalent of a 4 year U.S. regionally accredited bachelor's degree.  In addition to having completed the necessary prerequisite coursework, admission decisions will be based on multiple criteria, such as, the candidate’s overall and accounting GPAs, personal interviews, and performance on the GMAT exam or GRE exam scores if they are required in the year you apply.

As per the UW Graduate School, applicants to graduate school are also required to have at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) for the bachelor degree's last 90 quarter credits, OR, the last 60 semester credits. Note additional considerations below:

  • If your GPA is below the required 3.0, please explain the cause in the optional 3rd essay space (the blank space after 2nd essay).
  • For a Master’s, doctoral, or professional degree, the total cumulative average may be used.
  • If you earned additional credits from an accredited institution after your degree, you may include these credits in calculating your GPA.  

Is an interview required? back to top

Yes, an interview is required for admission to the program. Once an applicant has submitted all the required materials, the application will be reviewed and selected applicants will be invited to meet with the MSA Admissions Committee. Applicants will have an opportunity to raise any questions they may have about the program with the interviewers.

Can I send my transcripts prior to applying? back to top

When applying, do not mail any transcripts or documents to UW Bothell, since the application process is all online.  The online application form requires that you upload 1 PDF of each unofficial transcript for each university or educational institution listed in your application form. If you are admitted, the UW Graduate School will request and provide instructions for submitting your official transcript.

 What does Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) status mean, and do you accept GNM or Visiting Graduate Students?  back to top

Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) status allows post baccalaureate students who are not presently seeking a graduate degree at the University of Washington to take UW graduate courses and apply the credits toward degree requirements should they later be accepted into a graduate program at the UW. Read more about the GNM status.

Our program does accept GNM or Visiting Graduate students.  


Test Questions: GMAT or GRE


NEW: GMAT/GRE WAIVER  back to top

The waiver of the GMAT/GRE test scores will continue throught the 2022 application cycle. Submission of GMAT/GRE score is not required, but may make your application more competitive.

If you would like to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE (Graduate Records Examination), scores may be submitted using the UW institution code of 4054.

Where do I take the GMAT/GRE? back to top

There are many testing centers, but the closest local GMAT testing centers are in Northgate and Renton. Please visit the official GMAT site to locate a test center near you:

For GRE, please visit:

Do I have to submit an official English proficiency test? back to top

English language proficiency is required for graduate study at the University of Washington. Therefore, every applicant whose native language is not English, must demonstrate English proficiency. No waivers of this requirement may be given. The ways in which proficiency can be demonstrated can be found here:

Will you accept my TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test? back to top

Yes, we accept the TOEFL test.

Will you accept my IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test? back to top

No. The UW is phasing out usage of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). IELTS scores with a test session date after May 31, 2017 will not be accepted. Official IELTS scores from prior to May 31, 2017 can still be electronically reported.

What is the required score for the TOEFL? back to top

Applicants will need to receive a recommended score of 92 or higher in order to satisfy the UW Graduate School English language proficiency requirement. For more information about the required score, please visit:


Program Questions


When and where are classes held? back to top

The MSA program begins each Autumn Quarter in September.  Evening and some weekend classes are offered in Bothell to accommodate busy work schedules. MSA courses are typically taught from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. during autumn, winter, spring and summer quarters each academic year. 

How many classes do I take per quarter? back to top

Students may attend full-time or part-time. For full-time status, students must complete three courses per quarter. Our program is designed to allow working professionals the convenience of maintaining their careers and family life while going to school.

What is the length of time it will take to complete the MSA degree program? back to top

Students who choose to be full-time students will complete the program in one year. Students may also choose to be part-time students, in which the duration of completion will vary.

How many total credits are in the MSA degree? back to top

There are 45 total credits: 25 credits of required coursework (seven classes) and 20 credits of elective coursework (five classes).

Where can I find the MSA curriculum? back to top

You can find the MSA curriculum here:

Where can I find the MSA course descriptions and time schedules? back to top

You can find the course descriptions and time schedules online at

Does the MSA degree at UW Bothell offer Certified Public Accountant (CPA) placement? back to top

Yes, the MSA degree will satisfy the academic credit hours required for the CPA exam.

Please note the CPA exam requirements. Anyone planning to work in a different state should always check with that state’s CPA exam requirements.

Are you accredited? back to top

Yes. The UW Bothell School of Business is accredited by the prestigious Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB-accredited schools have better programs, better faculty, better students with higher overall GPAs, more international students, more employers that recruit from them, and graduates that receive better salaries. Less than 5% of the world’s 13,000 business programs have earned AACSB Accreditation.

Why is the AACSB Accreditation important? back to top

AACSB Accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Less than 5% of the world's 13,000 business programs have earned AACSB Accreditation. AACSB-accredited schools produce graduates that are highly skilled and more desirable to employers than other non-accredited schools. AACSB-accredited schools have the highest quality faculty, relevant and challenging curriculum, and provide educational and career opportunities that are not found at other business schools.


Tuition and Financial Aid


How much is tuition? back to top

Tuition for the MSA program is determined by the UW Board of Regents annually. Tuition may be found here:

Is financial aid available? back to top

Yes, financial aid is available. The MSA program at UW Bothell is fee-based. To learn more about fee-based degrees offered at the University of Washington, please visit: Please note that state of Washington and UW Employee tuition exemption programs do not apply.

Students in all fee-based programs, including this degree, are ineligible for the state tuition exemption program, institutional tuition waivers, or the Undergraduate/Graduate University Grant programs, including the Husky Promise program. Some students, depending on financial status, may be eligible for Department of Education Loans and are encouraged to start the free application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible. Please visit for more information.

Are scholarships available? back to top

Yes, graduate scholarships and grant opportunities are generally more competitive than undergraduate scholarship opportunities and graduate students are encouraged to widely research for opportunities. Please visit our scholarship page (just scroll down) to learn more:

How do I qualify as being a Washington state resident? back to top

To qualify as a legal Washington state resident, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, immigrant or refugee and have physically resided in the state of Washington for purposes other than educational for the last 12 consecutive months. Holders of any other types of visas will not qualify. For further information, please see the UW Student Guide on Understanding Washington State Residency.

As a veteran, where can I find information regarding the VA Tuition Reduction Program? back to top

If you are an active or reserve veteran who has served in active federal service in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or international waters, you may be eligible for the VA Tuition Reduction Program.

For this benefit, please contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Rosa Lundborg, at or 425-352-5307 with any questions. Applications must be turned in no later than the last day of the current quarter enrolled to be considered valid.


Career Services


What career services are available? back to top

At the campus level, UW Bothell Career Services provides internship listings, career fairs, electronic job postings, and career information and services to assist students and alumni in making connections between academic programs, career options and long-range goals. Also available are workshops and counseling to help students develop job search skills.

Is there a difference in the diploma received from UW Bothell and other UW campuses? back to top

All diplomas from the University of Washington are the same.


Visiting and Contact Information


How can I learn more about the MSA program? back to top

The best next step is to join us for an upcoming Information Session by registering at A question and answer time follows the session.

Specific questions?  Email

As a veteran, where I can I learn more about UW resources for student veterans? back to top

UW Bothell Veterans Services is committed to assisting our veterans as they transition out of the military into academic life. This department serves as your liaison to the Department of Veterans Affairs so that you may receive your educational entitlements in addition to providing you with guidance and resources to foster success. You can contact the Veteran Services Coordinator, Rosa Lundborg, at or at 425-352-5307. You can also visit the UW Bothell Veterans Services website at: