Poll Everywhere for Students
Poll Everywhere is a Classroom Response System (CRS) similar to clickers, except that you use your own smart device (smart phone, tablet or laptop) to participate in class polls.
Students are already registered in the Poll Everywhere system, so it is required that you use your UW email address (NetID@uw.edu) and UW Single-Sign On.
- Make sure that your Canvas default email address is your UW email by checking/editing your Canvas user profile.
Good news, almost all cellphones and laptops will work as Poll Everywhere devices. All you need to have is an active internet connection, on the device, to vote in polls.
If you do not own your own device, there are a couple of options available for you:
Purchase an inexpensive pay-as-you-go smart phone at a local retailer or online such as:
- Amazon Samsung $12 - $20
- Amazon Kyocera $20 - $25
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - These phones allow access to Poll Everywhere ONLY via web browser. If the phones activated, then you will also have the option to use SMS text to participate, but data charges will apply.
Check out a laptop from the UW Bothell Library
Getting Started with Poll Everywhere
Responding to Polls
Students and participants can respond to polls via web link, mobile app or text message for certain poll types.
We recommend using the mobile app for responding to Poll Everywhere polls. The iOS app requires version 7.0 or later, while the Android app requires version 4.4 and up. You can download the app for your mobile platform by clicking on the provided icons:
Instructions for responding to a poll question using either a web browser/app or via text are included on each poll when displayed. Note: the image below is an example poll, do not respond to “uwadmin”.
- If you are using the Poll Everywhere mobile app, click I’m participating, then enter the name of the poll in the field provided.
- The “PollEv.com” part is already added (examples: biology001 or johnsmith123).
- Recent presentations you have joined will be saved and can be selected from the the list.
- If you are using a web browser, enter the address displayed in your browser address bar (other examples: https://pollev.com/biology001 or https://pollev.com/johnsmith123).
- You must log in to Poll Everywhere with your UW NetID if you are responding via a web browser or the Poll Everywhere Mobile App.
- To respond by text message, you must have registered and certified your phone number with Poll Everywhere. To join a poll, send the presentation’s name (examples: johnsmith123 or biology001) to the number listed. You will receive a message telling you you have joined.
Showing as "Unregistered" in the instructor's report
- Students are already registered in the Poll Everywhere system, so it is required that you use your UW email address and UW Single-Sign On.
- Make sure that your Canvas default email address is your UW email by editing your Canvas user profile.
Using a web browser
- Clear your browser cache
- Restart the browser
- Try a different browser (if using Internet Explorer, try Firefox, etc.)
Using the mobile app
- Make sure the app is up-to-date
- Restart the app
- Unistall and reinstall the app
Using the SMS text option
- Check to make sure you have cell phone coverage. If your cell signal in the classroom is very weak or non-existent, inform your instructor.
If you continue having issues, go to the Open Learning Lab located in UW2-140. Help is available Monday - Friday, 9 Am - 5 PM.