The Pages feature in Canvas allows you to create pages containing items or content. Your instructor may have you create pages as part of an assignment or collaborate on editing a page similar to a Wiki.
Students may edit pages only if the instructor has allowed them to do so.
- In the content area you can place text, images, videos, equations, and other web elements in a page.
- Clicking on the buttons shows the page history of the page where you can view who made changes, when they made changes, and what changed
- Click on the Edit button to edit the wiki page
Exploring the interface
Content can be inserted using the 1) Rich Content Editor, 2) HTML editor, or 3) Content Selector
The Rich Content Editor Toolbar contains basic, yet powerful formatting text and paragraph tools like in a word processor program.
It also includes the ability to insert tables, hyperlinks, images, symbols, Panopto recordings, other multimedia as well as document styles with heading levels.
The file size limit when adding content is as follows
Individual files (images, documents, presentations, etc.)
cannot exceed 50 MB
To check file size
On a PC - Right-click on the file icon and then on Properties.
On a Mac - Click while holding the Control button or tap the mouse pad with two fingers (if this functionality has been enabled in the System Preferences) and select Get Info.
On Mobile Devices the options vary quite a bit, but usually once you open an image, there should be a menu option to get more information. If you need assistance, contact The Open Learning Lab, or the UW Seattle Help Desk after hours.
The HTML Editor
The HTML Editor provides an interface to paste iframes, like the ones used to embed video onto a page. To use it, copy the provided <embed> code by Panopto or other streaming site, click on the HTML Editor link and then Save your changes.
Always save your work using the Save button provided . You can always go back to make changes.
To insert files uploaded to Canvas, use the Content Selector.
Watch this video to see the Rich Content Editor in action!
If the file does not play from the link, copy and paste this text on your web browser: https://vimeo.com/71970883
Need assistance changing a file format or size?
The Open Learning Lab located at UW2-140, offers multimedia support, Monday Through Friday, 9am-5pm. YOu can also contact them via email at UWBLT@uw.edu
- Click Edit to bring up the Rich Content Editor in Canvas.
- Here you will be able to write text, create links, write equations, and embed images or video.
- Clicking HTML Editor will bring up the HTML code for the page allowing for more detailed editing.
- To link to other Canvas pages you can use the menu on the right side of the screen when editing a page.
- Clicking on the page you're interested in linking will automatically create a link in the page you're editing.
How do I remove formatting from text I have copied?
How do I create a hyperlink in the Rich Content Editor?
How do I insert an image using the Content Selector?
How do I upload an audio (or video) file using the Media Comment Tool?
- How do I record a video using the Media Comment Tool?