Table of Contents
- Creating and Managing an ePortfolio in Canvas, including:
- Submitting the Initial and Final ePortfolio Assignments
- Example Portfolio
- Video Tutorial
As part of your Special Education for General Educators Endorsement you will create an eportfolio which will contain your competency work, including any related artifacts that demonstrate how you have met all ten competencies aligned with Washington State and Council for Exceptional Children standards. Think of your portfolio as a “workspace” and a “record” of academic learning, relevant to teaching experiences, and how you meet and exceed these standards for practice. Below are resources explaining essential steps in the SPED ePortfolio creation, sharing and submission processes.
- To create a new ePortfolio in Canvas first click on Account on the left side of your canvas page.
- Then click on ePortfolios on the left hand side of the page
- Now click Create an ePortfolio
- Name your portfolio SPED ePortfolio Firstname Lastname
- Do NOT check the Make it Public box
- Now click on the Go to the Actual Portfolio button
- The SPED ePortfolio needs a Welcome/Home page (this is already created with the portfolio) Students should add an "About Me" header on the page by clicking Edit This Page
- Be sure to not to check on the Allow Comments on this Page box
- Now add your "About Me" into the text box by first selecting Header 2 from the font style drop-down and then typing the text. You will see that "About Me" will apear as heading. Click the Save Page button.
- Now you need to add your navigation sections to the left side bar. To do this click on Organize Sections on the left
- Click Add Section
Name your second section Competency Task 1: Learning Experiences that Affirm Student Diversity. Click Add Section or press the Enter key on your computer
- Repeat this step for the remaining other sections, naming each one the same way as each Competence Task in your Portfolio course
- Even though you titled the sections correctly, you will see on the far right side that the initial default pages within each section have the title of "New Page". To change this, you must now go into each of the pages in each section and change the page title by clicking on Edit This Page.
- You can then edit the title of the page. Change the page to Competency Task [number]. Stay on that page.
On the right menu you will see four module options to add content to your page:
- Rich Text Content
- HTML/Embedded Content
- Course Submission
- Image/File Upload
Click on Rich Text Content to add the module
Using the Heading 2 style as before, add two headings to this page:
- Task Overview
Click Save Page. You will be able to go back and add content later.
- Next, add two more pages to this section and name them Reflection Narrative and Artifacts, respectively
- You can add Rich Text Content, HTML/Embedded Content, or Image/File Upload modules to include your content and related artifacts. Click Save Page after each one.
To edit the content found on each page click on the Edit This Page button on the left side of the page
- You can add new content to your page by clicking on any of the buttons listed on the right side of the page, each time you click the button the new content will appear at the bottom of the page
- You can reorder the content by clicking on the arrow listed beside each title and dragging it around the page
- To delete a section click on the trash can icon on the right side of the content box
- To add a new text box on the page simply click on Rich Text Content
- You are able to embed HTML code into your page by clicking on the HTML/Embedded Content button
To upload a file or image click on Image/File Upload
To submit your eportfolio for an assignment in Canvas, you need to copy and paste the private URL for your portfolio. To do this:
- Click on the name of your Portfolio at the top of the page
- On your ePortfolio Dashboard, copy the link listed under the text, Copy and share this link to give others access to your private ePortfolio:
- Go to your Canvas course assignment, paste the link you copied in the previous step under the URL tab and submit your assignment.
To submit your final ePortfolio assignment:
- Go to ePortfolio dashboard page and click on Download the contents of this ePortfolio as a zip file
- Wait until this file is finished zipping, then download and save it in your computer (this process my take a while, depending on how much content and what type fo content you have on your page)
- Submit this .zip file under the File Submission tab of the Final ePortfolio Submission assignment
- Copy the same link from your dashboard page and paste it in the URL tab
- Submit your assignment