Undergraduate Registration Process
- Know your registration date and register early. Registration begins at 6:00 AM on your registration date.
- Contact your advisor before your registration date to double check that the classes you take will complete your degree requirements.
- Use the appropriate waitlist form if the class you want is full or you are not in a MAJOR that requires CSS courses. You can find these forms below.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble registering for reasons other than the class being full. Please include:
- Your student ID number
- The SLN's (5-digit registration codes) of the courses you want to join
- A short description of the issue preventing your registration.
- Audit your degree after registering. Click the "Refresh Audit" button in MyPlan to get your most recent audit and make sure your classes are fulfilling the correct requirements.
Depending on what major or minor you are in, you might not be able to register right away. Students will be able to register themselves for courses according to the following schedule:
- Registration Period I
- CSSE, Applied Computing, and Computer Engineering students
- Students in other majors that require specific CSS courses for their requirements (such as Electrical Engineering students and CSS 301)
- Registration Period II
- Newly admitted CSSE, Applied Computing, and Computer Engineering students who are attending transfer orientation sessions
- Students who have CSS courses as approved elective options in their major requirements (such as Business MIS students and CSS 475)
- Registration Period III
- Students in CSSE and Information Technology minors can only be considered for registration after the orientations for new CSS majors are complete for the quarter. The last orientation is often held the week before the quarter starts.
- Students in majors that do not require CSS coursework are only permitted to join a course on a space-available basis after all CSS major and minor students have been assisted.
- Premajor students are not allowed to take upper division courses without permission from the CSS Division. Premajors with permission will be registered during Period III.
Waitlist/Registration Request Forms
To access the forms, you will need to log in using your UW email address (including the “@uw.edu” part) and password. If Google does not recognize your account, then you must activate it by doing the following:
- Log into MyUW.
- Scroll down to UW Resources and select Accounts, Identity, and Email.
- Under Email, and Accounts and Identity, select Email Forwarding.
- Select UW G Suite on the left side of the page.
- Under UW G Suite Account Information next to Account Status, click the Turn On link.
CSS MAJOR waitlist request
Please use this form if you are in one of the following UW Bothell undergraduate majors:
- Computer Science & Software Systems (CSSE)
- Applied Computing (AC)
- Computer Engineering (CE)
Courses will be added to the CSS MAJOR waitlist form only after all seats have filled. We will not contact you unless we have a seat available for you, but you may also contact us anytime to check your place on the waitlist.
The CSS MAJOR waitlists are primarily first-come, first-serve. If a seat becomes available for you during or after your registration period (see above), we will follow the instructions you indicated on the form, either registering you immediately or contacting you to confirm. The CSS MAJOR waitlist request form closes for new requests on the second day of the quarter.
Note that filling out a waitlist request does not guarantee you a space in the course and you should always for a backup course while waiting to hear back.
Access the Summer 2021 MAJOR waitlist request form
Access the Autumn 2021 MAJOR waitlist request form
NON-CSS MAJOR registration request
Please use this form if you are:
- In a major other than CSSE, Applied Computing, or Computer Engineering (including other majors with CSS courses in their required curriculum)
- In the CSSE or Information Technology Minor
- A UW Seattle or UW Tacoma student
- A graduate program student (including CSS programs)
- A premajor student
- A non-matriculated student
The NON-CSS MAJOR seat request form is primarily based on (a) whether you need it for your major or minor, (b) if you have tried to get into the class in previous quarters, and (c) how close you are to graduation. Premajor and non-matriculated students are considered for registration only if there is space. Courses are listed on this form even if they are not full, so please complete it as early as possible. The CSS NON-MAJOR seat request form closes for new requests on the Friday prior to the first day of the quarter.
We will contact you at the beginning of the quarter to let you know whether or not there are any seats available for you. Seat requests are processed between the week before the quarter begins and the first day of classes, you will likely not hear from our office regarding your request prior to that time.
Due to the uncertainty, we recommend that you stay registered for your back-up courses and use the form to tell us if you'd like to drop any of them if a seat becomes availble for you.
Access Summer 2021 NON-MAJOR waitlist request form
Access Autumn 2021 NON-MAJOR waitlist request form
Discontinuing the waitlists
We continue to manage waitlists only up until Friday morning of the first week of the quarter. After that, we discontinue the waitlists and open enrollment in CSS courses to all students who meet the course prerequisites so that they may have a chance to register for open seats over the weekend.
After the first week* is complete, students may only register with instructor permission. Please contact the instructor directly and forward their message granting permission to us at email@example.com, or have them contact us on your behalf.
*Due to the structure of the course, students must obtain instructor permission to join CSS 301 after the first class period.