UW Insurance Waiver Eligibility
Students should not expect to be able to purchase an insurance plan that is not through UW. The requirement to purchase the UW Student Health Insurance Plan may be waived only if you fit into one of the following categories and have comparable insurance that is valid in the U.S. are eligible for an insurance waiver:
- Exchange or visiting student attending UW through an official exchange program sponsored either by a UW academic department or the UW Office of International Programs & Exchanges.
- Student funded by his or her government, or the U.S. government. Funding agencies include, but are not limited, to ARAMCO, SACM, and Fulbright.
- Student receiving health insurance benefits provided by the U.S. employer of his or her parent, spouse or domestic partner.
- Student enrolled at UW but doing research outside the United States.
- Student working in the U.S. and receiving health insurance benefits through his/her employer.
Minimum Coverage: The insurance must provide a monetary minimum of $200,000 or more per medical condition per policy year, medical evacuation (at least $10,000) and repatriation of remains (at least $7,500).
Research or Teaching Assistantship: If you receive a graduate Research or Teaching Assistant appointment, you may be eligible for the Graduate Appointee Insurance Plan (GAIP). If you enroll, this will automatically replace the UW Student Health Insurance Plan and no waiver is required. More information on GAIP is available at: http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/benefits/insure/gaip/index.html
How to Complete the Health Insurance Waiver:
- Sign-up for the UW Health Insurance (called iSHIP) - CIE encourages you to select the "Annual" Coverage.
When you register for classes, you will notice that in MyUW you will be required to select a Health Insurance coverage plan. You will need to select either the quarterly or annual coverage. Please Note: You are advised to select the "Annual Coverage" because then you will only need to submit the online waiver one time per Academic Year. If you select the "Quarterly Coverage", then you must submit the online waiver every quarter.
- Register for classes in MyUW.
- Complete the online Health Insurance Waiver no later than 1pm on the tuition due date (third Friday of the quarter).
The waiver is online at: https://iship.washington.edu/insurance-waiver/ . Make sure to select "Bothell" as your campus.
- Wait for the Waiver to be Approved & Insurance Charges Taken Off of Your Account.
Once you have submitted the online waiver form AND it is approved, UW will take off the insurance charge from your tuition statement. The charge will be taken off by the tuition due date. If you have already paid your tuition, the insurance payment will be credited to your account.
Questions? Please direct your insurance waiver questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org