Career resources for LGBTQIA+ students
As an individual who is queer, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary, etc. entering the workforce, you may have questions or concerns about how to approach various aspects of your job, internship or volunteer search.
Frequent questions include:
- Should I come "out" on the job/internship/volunteer site?
- Should I highlight experiences with LGBTQIA+ organizations on my application materials?
- Are there LGBTQIA+ friendly organizations/employers?
- What should I say or not say in an interview?
Unfortunately, many of these questions do not have answers. It is up to the individual to assess their situation and comfort level regarding how open they are regarding their sexual orientation.
UW Bothell Career Services provides a safe place for students to share their career related concerns and questions while assisting you in your application processes. Below are some resources that you may find useful. We encourage you to make an appointment as you start your job and internship search.
Job search resources
- ProGayJobs.com: First e-Recruitment site dedicated to assisting the LGBT workforce in finding satisfying, enriching jobs with LGBT friendly employers.
- LGBT Career Link: Find jobs, learn about employment at diversity-friendly companies and research careers by networking with your LGBT and allied colleagues.
- Out For Work: A nonprofit dedicated to educating, preparing, and empowering LGBTQ college students and their allies for the workplace. Includes a career library of information and conferences for students and alumni.
- Transgender Employment Links: A collection of resources about transitioning on the job and other issues transsexual and transgendered workers and their employers may face.
- Out Professionals: A job search and networking website including a directory of businesses, women's network, LGBT events and links, and volunteer opportunities.
- Human Rights Campaign: Resources on everything from coming out to addressing workplace discrimination.
- National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce: an organization promoting the LGBT community in the area of business.
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals
- Federal Globe: LGBT organization that represents the interests of federal employees.
- Lamda Legal: National LGBT civil rights organization. Website includes information about workplace discrimination cases.
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute: Nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender in our society.
- National Gay and Lesbian Taskforce: Nondiscrimination and other information from a national grassroots organization.