The Files tool offers instructors a common space to upload their course files. These files can then be accessed from any computer via the Canvas website. The files may also be attached to any other space in the course--assignments, pages, modules, etc.
Many spaces on Canvas will allow you to attach course files, as well as files from your computer. Having the option to do this means that you can attach a file from this (your course) space.
- To go to your files space, click the Files tab from the main course menu on the left side of the page.
- In the files page, you will see a traditional file structure with the folder organization on the left and the contents of the selected folder on the right. Initially you will have only have a base folder named after the course.
- You can always create new folders within your course folder. To do this, go to the far right corner of the files page and click +Folder.
- In the main file space, a text box will appear for you to name the folder. Once you are done with the name, hit enter to create the folder.
- To upload files, go back to the far right corner of the files page and click Upload. You will then be prompted to choose a file from your computer. Click the file you would like to upload and click Open.
- The file will begin to upload. Once it has finished, it will appear in your file space.
- To move the file to a folder, or one folder to another folder, click and drag the file to the new location.
- To download a file, simply click on the name of the file, select where you would like to save the file, and after you click OK your download will start.
- To import a .zip file, click on the green up-arrow next to Add Files | Add Folder, click on browse to find the .zip file on your computer, specify an import location, then click on Upload File