- Introduction to the K-8 Certification Portfolio
- About the K-8 Program
- Activate your UW Google Apps
- K-8 Certification Portfolio Basics
- Share Your Site With Your Instructor
All students in the K-8 certification program build a learning and professional portfolio as part of the curriculum. The portfolio process helps students to become self-directed and self-motivated learners during their time in the program. It encourages students to reflect on what they have learned and done, the connections they have made among coursework and practice, and how their academic accomplishments can contribute to their future goals. School of Educational Studies (SES) portfolios are built through UW Google Sites.
The portfolio process begins when students take B EDUC 425 Professional Practice Seminar. In B EDUC 425, students are introduced to the five portfolio learning and knowledge themes:
- Classrooms as learning communities
- Knowing schools and society
- Knowing students
- Supporting student learning
- Teacher as learner
While taking SES theory and practice and pedagogy courses, students should archive all of their work on their portfolio site.
Each quarter, course projects, essays, and/or blogs will align with and contribute to portfolio entries for each of the five themes.
Portfolios include framing essays and evidence of learning based in work completed during the program. The portfolio provides the capstone to students' learning in SES K-8 Certification, while also preparing them to communicate persuasively about their learning and abilities with future audiences, including a professional growth plan as a future teacher.
If you prefer a texted based tutorial, we have the video tutorial script which will take you through the steps for activating your Google Apps.
Tutorial for K-8 Certification Portfolio Basics
This tutorial will describe the process of using the UWB SES K8 Portfolio
- First go to http://gsites.uw.edu.
- Log in with your UW NetID and password.
- Click the Create button to create a new eportfolio.
- Click on Browse the gallery for more to look for the K8 Portfolio template.
- In the search gadgets field, type in “SES”
- When you find the UWB SES K8 ePortfolio, click on the template and then click on the Select button
- Name your site.
- When you are finished, click the Create button at the top of the page.
- For help on using the portfolio template, go to the Open Learning Lab in UW2-140.
- To view the K-8 Certification Portfolio Template click here.
If you prefer a text-based tutorial, we have the script to the video tutorial which will take you through the steps for sharing your portfolio with your advisor.
- You will need to Share your site with your academic advisor and second reader with "Can View" access. Be sure to indicate that you want these people notified via e-mail.
- Share your site with the UW Bothell Program shared UWNetID with 'Owner' access to the site. This shared UWNetID is: email@example.com
- After your portfolio has met the program requirements as determined by your first and second readers, create a copy of the portfolio site with a new name for your own use.
- In the dropdown menu titled More select Manage Site
- From the Manage Site page select the Copy this site box
- Create a new site name and do not copy site members
- The UW Bothell Education Program will remove all other users from the original site and archive it for program review purposes. You may retain the copy you made for your own reference.