Education Vision Statement
As a collaborative, scholarly and professional community, the University of Washington Bothell School of Educational Studies exists to develop and support educators who have the commitments and capabilities to promote the learning of all students in diverse contexts. We support interdisciplinary scholarship that explores the multifaceted dimensions of learning and schooling. We give particular focus to (a) the purposes of education in a social and political democracy, (b) the responsibility of universities to collaborate with community partners, and (c) the critical role of professional educators in supporting equity in learning.
Education Mission Statement
In the School of Educational Studies at the University of Washington Bothell we strive to produce critically engaged educators and citizens who:
Design and employ curriculum, instructional, and inquiry practices to promote equity and social justice across educational and community contexts,
- Contribute in responsive and informed ways to the communities with which they work,
- Serve as leaders and change agents in their respective fields,
- Apply research and professional knowledge to contexts and challenges of leadership, learning, and practice locally and globally,
- Employ, adapt, and advocate for practices in a wide range of teaching and learning contexts, communities, and public spaces,
- Dedicate themselves to continuous development of academic, practitioner, and community knowledge and skills.
- Connect to national and international learning communities to explore educational issues and build knowledge and capacity.
- Value intellectual diversity among faculty, engaging in and supporting scholarship that expands knowledge and informs practice.
- Create programs that provide equitable access to educational professions.
- Contribute to developing a citizenry well informed about complex educational issues.
- Collaborate with local and global communities in examining and responding to educational challenges.