Community Engagement Council
The Community Engagement Council’s central purpose is to advise and assist the University of Washington Bothell in advancing its Community Engagement Mission. It reports to the Chancellor.
The Council (and its Executive Committee) provides a forum for conversation among a range of UW Bothell units and community partners. The conversation is a value in itself for advancing shared understandings; to do so, the Council will develop and maintain a timeline with goals, strategy and tactics to achieve the community engagement mission.
The Council is responsible for reviewing annually progress in achieving them. Further, the Council will be a communication mechanism to expand the range of university and community members informed about and involved with UW Bothell’s Community Engagement efforts. It will also have a quality assurance function in insuring that engagement initiatives undertaken by the University are reviewed in a timely way.
The Council will make strategic recommendations and periodic updates on progress and quality to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Chancellor.
Chancellor's Charge Letter to Council
- Bruce Burgett, Dean, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, Chair
- Kara Adams, Director of Community Engagement, CE representative
- Melissa Arias, Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement, Advancement representative
- Sam Al-Khoury, Director of Student Engagement & Activities
- Ed Buendia, Dean, School of Educational Studies, Council of Academic Deans representative
- Victoria Breckwich Vasquez, Assistant Professor, School of Nursing & Health Studies, NHS faculty representative; also representing the School of Educational Studies on rotational basis
- David Goldstein, Principal Lecturer, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, CBLR Fellows representative
- John Kim, ASUWB Junior Senator, Student
- Valerie Li, Assistant Professor, School of Business, Business faculty representative
- Cameron Locke, Student
- Charity Lovitt, Lecturer, School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics, STEM faculty representative
- Keith Nitta, Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, IAS faculty representative
- Claire Peinado, Director of Integrated Learning
- Salvador Salazar Cano, Student
- Kim Wilson, Interim Director, Career Services
- (vacant) GSO representative
Community Partner Members
- Mary Houston, Director of Service Delivery, Workforce Snohomish
- Tom Laing, Director, Latino Education Training Institute
- Rosario Reyes, Founder and CEO, Latino Education Training Institute
- Kurt Sahl, Director of Operations, 21 Acres
- Courtney Sheehan, Executive Director, Northwest Film Forum
- Elyse Hovard, Director of Outreach, Cocoon House
- Marissa Vichayapai, Program Director, 21 Progress
- City of Bothell, TBD
- Shauna Carlisle, Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
- Charles Collins, Assistant Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
- Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives
- Joy Emory, Analyst, Office of Institutional Research
- Ann McMahon, Executive Director of Research Strategy for Broad Impact, Office of Research
Community Engagement Council Executive Committee
Responsibilities of the Community Engagement Council Executive Committee: Managing the work of the Council, including agenda-setting, tracking of sub-committee work, and tracking of Council recommendations and assessment of their implementation.