Why Study Retailing as a Minor?
Retailing is one of the most important industries in the Northwest. Many prominent national retailers are headquartered in the Pacific Northwest (e.g., Costco, Starbucks, Union Bay, Eddie Bauer, REI, Zumiez, Nordstrom, and Sur la Table), and, our region is a leader in the area of online/technology retailing (e.g., Amazon, Coinstar, and Microsoft Stores). Engagement with this key industry through this program positions students to become leaders in the retail industry.
Who Can Obtain a Retail Minor?
All UW Bothell non-business majors may earn a Minor in Retail Management. Non-business students enrolled at UW Seattle and UW Tacoma are welcome. Interested students should discuss the feasibility of completing this minor with their major program advisor.
- Dr. P.V. (Sundar) Balakrishnan, email@example.com, Professor, Marketing Area Coordinator
- Dr. Sandeep Krishnamurthy, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dean, Professor
- Dr. Sri Devi Duvvuri, email@example.com, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Hyoryung Nam, firstname.lastname@example.org, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ceri Nishihara, email@example.com, Lecturer
Prospective students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.7 to be eligible. Before taking retail minor classes, students must complete these courses-
- B BUS 201: Introduction to Business -- minimum grade of 2.7 required.
- BBUS 300/BBSKL 300 - Management of Organizations/Teamwork Skills
- BBUS 320 - Marketing Management
Students may take MGMT 300: Leadership and Organizational Behavior and/or MKTG 301: Marketing Concepts, at the UW Seattle campus to satisfy the requirements of B BUS 300 and B BUS 320, respectively. The UW Seattle campus courses are four credits each. Students who take one of these courses at Seattle will complete the minor with 29 credits; students who take both of these courses at UW Seattle will complete the minor with 28 credits.
After completion of these courses, these courses must be taken to obtain the retail management minor:
- BBUS 445 - Merchandise Acquisition
- BBUS 446 - Strategic Retail Promotion
- BBUS 447 - Retail Operations and Supply Chain Management
- BBUS 448 - Retail Technology and Leadership
Retail students are encouraged to take an internship.
Applying to the Minor
To apply, submit a "Change of Program or Minor" form along with transcripts that show completion of the prerequisites. The "Change of Program or Minor" form can be picked up in the Business School office (UW1-381) or in any UW academic office. Send "Change of Program or Minor" form and transcripts to the UWB School of Business. Students must complete the prerequisite before registering for any of the courses.
Retail Management Minor
UWB School of Business, Box 358533
18115 Campus Way NE, Room UW1-381
Bothell, WA 98011
You can also make an appointment with a Business School advisor to discuss the Minor. Please consult with your major advisor prior to meeting the advisor from the business school.
Registering for Classes
Students who have been accepted into the Retail Management minor will be able to register for UW Bothell business courses starting Registration Period 2. However, registration cannot be accomplished through the myUW registration system. Students will need to contact an advisor in the UWB School of Business in order to register for their Business courses each quarter.
Graduating with a Minor
When applying for graduation, the student's major program advisor will list the minor requirements on the graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on the student's transcript, but will not appear on the diploma.
What We Want to See in our Students
- Analytical rigor
- Critical thinking
- Written and oral communication
- Ethical orientation
- Work ethic
- Engagement with business community